Postpartum psychosis requires intensive nursing, usually but not always in hospital.
The mother should not be left alone with her baby when acutely unwell.
Psychosis is not always obvious – anyone with any significant degree of psychiatric symptoms should be asked about what they are thinking or experiencing. Examples of some questions:
- Do you have any scary thoughts?
- Do you feel as though anyone is out to harm you?
- What has been the most concerning thought you have had?
- What has been the most worrying thing that has happened?
- Has anything unusual or strange happened?
- Do you trust the people around you?
Always check for suicidal thoughts and thoughts of harming others including shaking the baby.
Arrange for the woman to be seen urgently by a psychiatrist.
For more information
See information for women on postpartum psychosis